Saturday, October 4, 2008

Baby Blocks that Ashley and I made

I thought I'd share something that I've been enjoying as a hobby over the past year. Here's the deal...I got started making baby blocks on plastic canvas/mesh because I wanted to make some like my grandma made for Logan and my sister Ashley (when she was a baby). They are really great and have each of the letters along with pictures of different items. I'd gotten the pattern from her which was great EXCEPT for the fact that I HATE to follow directions. So, instead...I just decided to make up my own random designs on each side of the block and that suited my "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of personality much better. Anyway, my sister, Ashley, came over to visit us and was proceeding to make fun of my granny activity of plastic "meshing" baby blocks for our new niece Zamara, until she decided that she wanted to make some as well. She did a really cool thing, that I hadn't thought of, which was to make a personalized block. Those are the first 6 photos you see below. Our niece was adopted from Ethiopia so she made that flag along with the U.S. flag, Zamara's initials, etc. I thought that was a great idea so I decided to make a personalized block as well. I decided to tell Zamara's story of how she was adopted and came to live with her Daddy and Mommy (my brother and sister-in-law). Those are the 6 photos at the bottom. It was totally fun to make these for her and it gives me something to do while watching my stupid reality shows so I don't feel like I'm losing brain cells at such a high rate. : )
(Ashley's block)


(Angie's block)




2 comments:

  1. Aunt Angie and Aunt Ashley! These are the cutest blocks! Thank you for making them for us. We are "saving" the 2 blocks that tell the story of Zamara so that she doesn't get drool, throw up, or poop on them. I know she will want them later in life. They are so personal and very special. What amazing aunts Zamara has!!!! Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie/Ashley,

    I don't know if I ever fully expressed how much those blocks meant to me and my family. I think Laura touches on it but I was just blown away and still am. The ones with the world and the plan flight path, the baby in front of the church, etc were just amazing. It's very difficult to put into words how much those mean to me. You two are wonderful sisters! I don't know if a more thoughtful gift could have been given to us. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete