Saturday, October 25, 2008

Lockdown at Angie's school on Friday

We were on lockdown at school on Friday and weren't dismissed until 3:20, instead of 2:45 due to an escaped bank robber crashing on Interstate 83 right by our school. From our building we could see where two police cars had crashed and apparently, from the office windows they could see multiple police officers with guns drawn. They put us on lockdown at 1:20 and we weren't dismissed until 3:20. It was pretty exciting since we could actually see the emergency vehicles from the school. The story was that three men robbed a bank in York County and then sped up I-83 with speeds reaching over 100 mph. Gunfire was exchanged during the high speed pursuit and then at the exit that I get off to come to work, two police cars crashed. At the exit that I pass to get to work, the robbers car crashed. One of them was found dead, one was taken into custody and the third escaped on foot, which is why we were on lockdown. The description was that he was a black male, wearing a white tee-shirt. Wow! I'm sure they'll find him since that describes pretty much every male student I ever had at Harrisburg in 5 years of teaching there. Even when I left school 3 hours after our lockdown had begun, the on ramp I take to get home was still closed as was that section of the highway. I had to take another route and ended up getting stuck in HEAVY traffic, since I-83 traffic had to be diverted around the accident scenes. The strange thing was that when I finally got on I-83 to go home, there was no merging into traffic, because the highway was complete shut down behind me. Very strange feeling, especially in the middle of the afternoon - to not have ANY cars on the highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment