I just learned that electronic bill paying helps save the environment. I have paid my bills online for several years, because it is free at my credit union and I despise the post office, stamps, and the whole process of writing checks and sticking them in an envelop and having to lick the nasty tasting envelopes. I love using my computer, so it made sense for me to pay bills this way. However, since I'm into the environment, I was happy to learn that it actually does its part for saving the environment. Here is what I learned from my credit union newsletter...
"Every year, paper checks use more than 674 million gallons of fuel and add 3.6 million tons of carbon dioxide to the environment. By switching to electronic bills, statements and payments, the average household can reduce green house gas emissions by 171 pounds annually - a savings equivalent to:
*not driving 169 miles
*not consuming 8.8 gallons of gasoline
*planting and growing 2 trees for 10 years
*preserving 24 square feet of forestland"
Sounds good to me, and every little bit counts.
No comments:
Post a Comment